CL-01: How can I edit a file in the command line?

Browse: [About the FAQ Forum] [Table of Contents] [FAQs] [Contribute] [CL: Command Line Questions]

CL-01: How can I edit a file in the command line?

You have been told to edit a file in command line to fix something, but you don't know which editor to use, or you don't know how to use it at all.

Answer:

For this task you should use the vi/vim editor which is installed by default in Linux.

There are a few things you should know before using it: The vi (and his improved clone vim) is opened by default in "command mode"; in that mode you can't insert text, that mode is for browsing and editing (as in deleting whole lines) the file. So to insert/edit text you have to be in "insert mode".

How to do it:

• Now browse using the arrow keys through the document till you find the line you want to edit. Remember that you are in "command mode".

• Go into "insert mode" either by pressing the "i" key, or pressing the "INSERT" key.

• Edit what you have to.

• Save the file and exit: To do this, you have to go back to "command mode" by pressing the "ESC" key. Once you are in "command mode" type :wq which means "w"rite and "q"uit.

• In case you want to exit w/o writting the changes you've made, then type in "command mode" :q!

For further information about how to use vi/vim you can use the program "/usr/bin/vimtutor" or visit the vim faq: www.vim.org/faq/

[PREV: "CL: Command Line Questions"] [NEXT: "CL-02: How do I move/rename a file from the command line?"]