NT-01: eDonkey 2000 under Linux

Browse: [About the FAQ Forum] [Table of Contents] [FAQs] [Contribute] [NT: Networking]

NT-01: eDonkey 2000 under Linux

eDonkey is my favorite P2P software. There is a huge community and people share files in MANY languages (mainly English, French, German and Spanish). Here is what you have to do to install it on your computer running Mandrake Linux.

INSTALLATION

1) eDonkey 2000 is a command line based sofware (Yiha!). Therefore, you have to install the core (command line software) and the GUI (Graphical User Interface) if you want to control it the Windows way. So download the CORE (current eDonkey2000 core = v44) and the GUI (RPM-package for RedHat, Suse, Mandrake etc v0.5.0) in your $HOME directory.

2) THE CORE:

a) Make a new directory in your $HOME directory and put the eDonkey0.44.tar.gz there. To do so, open a console and type the following as a normal user (no need to be root !!).

cd

mkdir eDonkey

cd eDonkey

mv ../eDonkey0.44.tar.gz .

B) Unpack the software

tar xvfz eDonkey0.44.tar.gz

c) Run it for the first time. To control the core from the GUI, you have to set a username and a password. To do so, here is what you have to type (Replace 'x' (username) and 'y' (password) with anything you like.

./donkey_s_44

pass x y

q

3) THE GUI:

a) To control the core from a nice and easy to use GUI, you have to install it. So become root and type the following:

su

urpmi ed2k-gtk-gui-0.5.0-2.i386.rpm

If dependencies are needed, the software installer (urpmi) should prompt you for the required CD.

RUN THE DONKEY FOR THE FIRST TIME

From a console as your normal user (no need to be root), type 'ed2k_gui' to start the GUI. You should be prompt for the core's path and core's username and password. So type the core's path (/home/whatever/eDonkey/donkey_s_44) and give the username and password you specified in step 2 ('x' and 'y'). Now press the 'Spawn Core' button and 'GO' to enter the GUI. That should start the core and give you access to the GUI.

*Have fun discover the GUI !!!

RUNNING THE DONKEY BEHIND A FIREWALL

If you set a firewall and want to use eDonkey2000, you will have to free some ports up. To share files, your port 4662 need to be opened.

One-interface computer:

Open a console, become root and open the Shorewall rules to modify it as follow:

su

vi /etc/shorewall/rules

Now go at the bottom of the file (using 'Page Down' key), press 'i' to insert lines and add the following lines:

ACCEPT	net	fw	tcp	4662	-

ACCEPT	net	fw	udp	4662	-

Now press the 'Esc' key and type ':wq' to save your edition. Now restart the firewall as follow:

service shorewall restart

Two-interface computer:

Do as above but add the following lines instead. Replace '192.168.1.100' by your IP.

DNAT    net     masq:192.168.1.100      tcp     4662	-

DNAT    net     masq:192.168.1.100      udp     4662	-

Three-interface computer:

Are you really asking?

If you have problems understanding what you have just read, I suggest you come back later and try again. If that still fails, then let me know.. I'll try to help you. ;-)

MOttS