SI-02: How do I IM Windows Users?

Guest fubar::chi

Guest fubar::chi

Browse: [About the FAQ forum] [Table of Contents] [FAQs] [Contribute] [SI: Software Installation]

SI-02: How do I IM Windows Users?

There are a lot of IM clients out there for Linux, some only for ICQ, some only for AIM, some only for Jabber and some only for MSN. I'm not going to deal with these separately. The reason for this is that there are also a few all-in-one IM clients out there that can IM anyone using any protocol. The one we'll be using is called Gaim. I'll show you how to use Gaim to connect to practically any IM service on the planet (maybe even universe :)).

::Installation::

Gaim is included with the Mandrake Linux discs so you can install using that champion of installers, urpmi. There is also a new gtk2 (fonts don't look like crap) version of Gaim out which you can get from Texstar's repository. If you don't have the repository in your rpmdrake/urpmi sources you can get the info on how to do so here <-- click me

Once you have your sources set up you can install Gaim (urpmi will get the most recent version if there are more than one).

A1. To install from a console, open up a console, login as root and type

urpmi gaim

A2. You may be need to install additional software first (known as dependencies) to be able to install Gaim. After you've finished watching the magic, logout of the root account.

B1. To install from rpmdrake open it up from the menu, Configuration > Packaging > Install Software and type in your root password.

B2. Alternatively, if that method isn't working you can open up the Mandrake Control Center )

B3. Once rpmdrake is up type in Gaim in the search bar and select the one you wish to use. Gaim 0.60 or higher is the gtk2 version (which I'll be showing you how to set up).

B4. You may need to say yes to dependencies which are needed by Gaim before you can install it.

B5. After doing this click the "Install" button and any confirmations that come up afterwards. Eventually you'll have Gaim installed :) .

::Getting Started::

When you start up Gaim for the first time you will have to opportunity to log in to the AIM network. This is the default setting. All you have to do is type in your user name and password and log on.

If you want to use alternate protocols a bit more work is necessary.

1. First thing you do is click on the Account button which will bring up the Account Editor window.

2. Click the Add drop down box select your desired protocol.

3. Fill in the necessary information and click OK.

4. Now you can select whether you want the accounts you added to log in automatically whenever you start Gaim or whether you want to go online now (and you'll probably want both for at least one protocol).

5. Just in case you are wondering you can log onto different protocols at the same time, so it is possible to speak with your friends on AIM, Yahoo and IRC at the same time.

::Configuration::

Once you have Gaim started up you might want to configure sounds and away messages to make them a bit more personalized.

You can do this by going to Tools > Preferences and playing around with your settings.

One thing that isn't configured in Preferences is account info. That is found in Tools > Accounts. Then you have to select an account and choose the Modify button. Under the AIM/ICQ protocol you'll be able to navigate your way to your buddy icon if you have one on your computer.

And there you have it, you can now talk to the infidels using Windows and the saints using Linux :D .

Enjoy.

Edited by Tuxiscool