GE-01: How do I install Unreal Tournament 2003 for Linux?

Guest fubar::chi

Guest fubar::chi

Browse: [About the FAQ Forum] [Table of Contents] [FAQs] [Contribute] [GE: Games-Emulation]

GE-01: How do I install Unreal Tournament 2003 for Linux?

Log in to whatever Desktop you use and get comfy. This is going to take a while. The first thing you need to do is disable supermount.

The way I do it is by using the Mandrake Control Center but it can also be done from the command line, which is probably the quicker way to do it. I'll show you how to do it both ways.

::Using the Command Line::

Get thee to a terminal and login as root then issue this command:

supermount -i disable

::Using MCC::

Instructions on how to open MCC can be found here.

Once you've opened up the Mandrake Control Center(MCC) here's what you do:

1. Click on Mount Points then decide which drive you are going to use to install UT2003.

2. Once you decided click on the icon which represents that CD (CD writer or DVD) drive.

3. In the window that comes up select Options button.

4. You should now see an entry in the window that comes up next which says supermount button.

5. Check the Options button.

The second thing you need to do is copy the linux_installer.sh script to your hard drive.

You can either use your favorite file manager (konqueror, etc) or the command line. If you're using a file manager I'll assume you can mount, find and copy the file yourself. To do it from the command line:

1. Click on the System icon.

2. Put DISC THREE of the Unreal Tournament 2003 discs in the drive. You have to know to mount point of your CD drive.

3. The mount points are usually either /mnt/cdrom

4. Now you have to mount the CD with the mount command. The syntax for this command is

mount location_of_drive

eg.

mount /mnt/cdrom

5. Next you have to use the cp

6. You now have to make the file executable

chmod 755 ~/linux_installer.sh

7. Now unmount the drive you previously mounted with the umount

8. Put in DISC ONE of your Unreal Tournament 2003 discs and mount it.

::UPDATE::

To install this on Mandrake Linux 9.2 you will need to define a path for the installer to look for installation CDs. This can be done by typing

export SETUP_CDROM=/path/to/install/cd

e.g.

export SETUP_CDROM=/mnt/cdrom

9. Finally you can run the installation script as either root or a normal user. I'd recommend doing this as a normal user

~/linux_installer.sh

10. A license will come up which you will have to agree to if you want to install the game.

11. If you agree to the licence and continue, the default paths given are usually acceptable. You need to have at least 2760 MB of free space to install. If you can't fit it into the default installation path you can modify it to whatever you choose (remember to mount your hard drive first). I'd recommend having at least 3.5 GB available because of upgrades and other addons (extra levels, etc.).

12. It will show how much free space is available in your installation path. You also have the option of adding KDE or Gnome menu entries for the Game.

13. When ready, click on the Begin Install button. If the button is greyed out you either don't have enough space or don't have write permission to the directory you selected. To give yourself write permission you can make yourself the owner of that directory.

14. To do this go back to the root console and do

chown -R name_of_user_installing name_of_directory_being_installed_to

eg

chown -R fubar /mnt/gimmegames

Remember that you need to have this directory mounted.

15. After giving yourself write permissions you should now be able to install (if you have enough space).

16a. Click on the Begin Install button again and watch the magic happen.

16b. You may be asked to insert the Play Disc so just hit enter (it should already be in the drive).

17. Eventually DISC ONE.

18. Put DISC TWO in the cd tray and confirm in the dialog box which popped up.

19. After some time DISC TWO. Put it in, hit enter and watch the pretty progress bar.

20. After everything is installed, you will be prompted to type in your cd key. Type this in very carefully (or maybe at all).

21. If you'd like to you can unmount DISC THREE

After the CD key has been typed in you can now go along your merry way and play the awesomeness that is Unreal :D

*********************UPDATE*******************

For those of you who plan to update to mandrake 10.0 or are currently using cooker, you may experience difficulties with the sound, specifically the lack thereof. In order to remedy this try installing the libopenal rpm as root with

urpmi libopenal

and then doing

echo "(define devices '(sdl))" > ~/.openalrc

as a normal user. This should then allow you playback with full sound. And then, you can really enjoy the awesomeness that is Unreal :D

References:

http://icculus.org/~dolson/mdkxp/?c=ttrls/utinstall

http://icculus.org/lgfaq/#ut2k3badsnd

Edited by illogic-al