IM-05: How do I mount music CDs in Linux?

Guest fubar::chi

Guest fubar::chi

Browse: [About the FAQ Forum] [Table of Contents] [FAQs] [Contribute] [IM: Installing and Configuring Mandrake]

IM-05: How do I mount music CDs in Linux?

Let's get this out of the way right off the bat; you don't. In linux or any other operating system (yes, that includes windows) since an audio/music CD has no file system, it cannot be mounted.

Does that mean you can't play CDs? Of course not. As a matter of fact all you need to have is a CD player installed.

For the KDE environment there is kscd.

To install these you need to log in as root at a console or terminal and then do either

urpmi kdemultimedia

or

urpmi gnome-media

or

urpmi xmms

depending on which you want to use. After you've finished installing your player of choice you should log out of root by typing exit to install these if you like.

Now the first two are just normal CD players while the last (xmms) is an all-in-one multimedia player. xmms plays mp3s, ogg, CDs and a lot of other formats.

To get all of them to work properly you will have to go into their respective configuration dialogs. Since most people use xmms, and it is installed by default regardless of which desktop you use, we'll configure that here.

::Finding that CD::

1. Open xmms up from the menu. It is in the Multimedia > Sound section.

2. Click on the upper left hand corner of the main window to bring up the menu (like you would with winamp).

3. You can now select Play Directory and navigate to (or type in) the location of where your CD is.

4. When your finshed select OK and your music CD should be churning out sweet tunes. If not, read on.

::Troubleshooting::

1. Click anywhere on the main (top) window and then type Ctrl+P dialog.

2. You should now be at the Audio I/O Plugins button.

::Note:: checkbox.

::Note2:: will show up beside the plugin.

3. You should now be at the CD Audio Player Configuration window. Change to the device entry to whatever you have in /etc/fstab for your CD player entry.

::Sample fstab with supermount enabled::

none    /mnt/cdrom      supermount      fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/hdd,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850

the device is indicated by the dev= parameter

::Sample fstab with supermount disabled::

/dev/hdd        /mnt/cdrom      iso9660 iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850

The device is now the first entry in the fstab file.

If you have more than one CD-rom you need to put in the correct Device entries (current location of CD).

4. Once you have corrected the entries Click OK and OK. You should now be able to play your music CDs (but remember, they can't, and don't have to be mounted).

5. If when you go to you're directory xmms just hangs there doing nothing (like it did for me) then I would suggest disabling then re-enabling supermount, then starting from Step 1 of ::Finding that CD:: again.

Info on disabling and enabling fstab can be found here.

::Note3::Configuration of the other two CD players in similar in that you have to define the device (but not driectory) which has the CD.

::Note4:: Just in case you're wondering, just like in windows your visualizations won't do much when a CD is playing

(well, not without some tinkering, but that's for another time :D ).

This faq is hereby dedicated to DragonMage

<TODO>

link to rpmdrake faq at request of the cannonical one :mystismiles:

::edit::

Made revisions suggested by ndeb